Translate

Thursday 3 January 2013

I had a house in Africa...(Karen Blixen)

I also have a house in Africa. Morocco to be precise, in Tangier, the white city, "the dove resting on the shoulder of Africa" as French author Henri de Montherlant once wrote.

The upper terrace with the King's Mosque in the distance


The lower terrace at tea time

Welcome to the jewel that is Tangier. I hope I will be able to show you the Tangier I know and to convey the feelings of awe it awakens in me and so many travelers.


The bay from on a friend's house nestled on the ramparts of the Kasbah

Tangier is a city on the sea and the constant breeze blowing in from the Strait of Gibraltar keeps the temperature at a comfortable level even in summer.




The entrance to the Kasbah, the fortified part of the old city

What struck me first was the kindness Moroccans show complete strangers. They will go out of their way to give you directions and will even accompany you where you are going so you don't get lost. There are street signs in the new city but the old part, the medina where the shops are, can be challenging to newcomers.

See you again soon in Tangier.









3 comments:

  1. Déjà "Villa Victoria" nous avait charmés par l'atmosphère si singulière qui en émanait.. Maintenant des photos et une "voix" qui nous guident à travers la ville : comment ne pas être séduits par l'idée de ce blog et l'envie de mieux connaître la cité tangeroise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "I had a house in Africa"...one of my all time favorite movies. Looks like a beautiful place...can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete